- Ready Time : 0 min
- 1 bunch curley kale, shredded
- 1/2 head small red cabbage, shredded
- 3-4 medium carrots, shredded
- 4 green onions, sliced thin diagonally
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 1/2 cup almond slivers, toasted
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
Shred all of your veggies by hand. A processor will shred too finely. For the kale, I run my knife through, starting at the top of the stalk and julienne until about half-way down, where the stalk begins to get really tough. Then, I pull those bottom leaves off, shred them and discard the rest of the stem. I use my knife for the cabbage too then the box grater to shred the carrots. As you shred everything, put all of the veggies in a large bowl.
In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients up to the vegetable oil. Then, pour the dressing over the shredded veggies. Toss a bit and refrigerate for at least 15 to 20 minutes (if you can wait that long!).
Sprinkle the top with the sesame seeds, almonds and the sea salt just before serving and toss once more.
This slaw will keep for one more day after it’s made, but gets watery (yuk) beyond that.
If your kale looks a bit wilted, soak your shreds in a large bowl of cool water while preparing the rest of your ingredients. By the time you’re done, they’ll be nice and crisp! Just give them a spin in a salad spinner to get them perfectly dry.
Source: Taste, Love and Nourish