- Ready Time : 0 min
- 1 3/4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- pinch salt
- 1 cup barley (pearled or hulled)
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 cups (3 ounces) salad spinach
- 1 tablespoon fresh (or 1 tsp dried) oregano
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium cucumber, chopped
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1/2 large green pepper, chopped
- 4 ounce feta cheese, crumbled
Three hours before serving, bring the stock and salt to a boil. Add the barley and return to a boil, cover, and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for 30 minutes, or until the stock is absorbed. Transfer to the refrigerator.
In a food processor, chop the garlic, spinach and oregano. Add the lemon juice, zest and salt, and process again. Add the olive oil with the machine running, then stir mixture into the barley.
Mix in the vegetables and half the feta. Serve topped with more feta.
Source: Mother Earth News