- Ready Time : 0 min
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large chopped yellow onions
- 1 chopped rib celery
- 1 chopped carrot
- 5 clove minced garlic
- 3 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 3 3/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups roughly chopped or torn fresh basil leaves
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 diced summer squash
- 1 bunch chopped beet stems
- 1 diced turnip
Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the onions, celery, carrot, and garlic (as well as the optional vegetables). Cover the pan and cook over a low heat for 45 minutes or until the vegetables are soft, stirring occasionally to prevent the vegetables from sticking.
Add the peas and stock to the pan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, add the basil and seasoning, then simmer for 10 minutes.
Spoon the soup into a food processor or blender and process until the soup is smooth. Ladle into warm bowls, sprinkle with grated parmesan and garnis with basil.
– chopped beet stems (just the stems – no leaves or beet root) make a good substitute for celery
– just about any soup-like vegetable could be added or substituted
– depending on your vegetable broth or stock, salt may not be needed
– Goes well with crusty bread
Source: CSA Member Detrick Merz